This OER textbook has been designed for students to learn the foundational concepts for first-year college writing. This textbook contains five sections: (1) Success Skills for College Learning and Intellectual Growth, (2) The Writing Process, (3) Essay Structure, (4) Types of Essays, and (5) Research Skills. The content of this textbook is aimed at helping students meet these learning objectives:
- Demonstrate college-level writing on an assigned topic, with a clear purpose, in a form appropriate for an intended audience.
- Demonstrate critical thinking, effective use of study and college-success skills.
- Use a multi-step, recursive writing process that includes prewriting, drafting, editing, proofreading, and revising, including making use of written and oral feedback.
- Apply to writing the rules and conventions of grammar, word choice, punctuation, and spelling.
- Compose complex and well-reasoned essays that incorporate credible source materials following an appropriate style guide.