1. Vocabulary Review
Directions: Follow the links on Quizlet below for various activities to reinforce the learning of the key vocabulary.
2-1. Level 1: Past Tense
Directions: Complete the sentences to tell the story of HengBu and NolBu with appropriate verbs in the past tense.
1) “흥부는 마음씨가 ________________. 놀부는 마음씨가 _________________ .
2) “놀부는 부자________________. 그런데 흥부는 __________________. ”
3) “놀부는 흥부 가족을 집에서 ______________________. ”
4) “흥부는 제비 다리를 ____________. 그런데 놀부는 제비 다리를 _____________. ”
5) “제비는 흥부한테 복을 ____________. 그런데 놀부한테는 벌을 _____________. ”
2-2. Level 1: Summary
Directions: Based on the video and the reading, fill in the blank with the appropriate word chosen from the given box. For verbs, make sure to change them into the most appropriate form. The completed paragraph will give you an outline of the story’s main plot.
흥부는 놀부의 ___________이에요/예요.
놀부는 흥부의 ___________이에요/예요.
흥부는 돈이 없었어요. 아주 ________________________.
놀부는 돈이 많았어요. 아주 ________________________ .
흥부는 마음씨가 ________________. 그런데 놀부는 마음씨가 ___________________ .
_____________이/가 다리를 다쳤어요. 흥부가 잘 도와줬어요. 그래서 제비가 _________(으)로 흥부한테 __________을/를 갖다주었어요. 놀부는 제비 다리를 _______________ . 그래서 제비가 __________(으)로 놀부한테 ________을/를 갖다주었어요.
2-3. Level 2: Noun Modifier
Directions: Supply the appropriate noun modifiers to tell the story of HeungBu and NolBu.
1) A swallow who is grateful ________________ 제비
2) A gourd which is very ripe ________________ 박
3) HeungBu who became rich ________________ 흥부
4) NolBu who heard the news of HeungBu ________________ 놀부
5) NolBu, who is mean-spirited, kicked out his younger brother. ____________________ 놀부는 동생을 쫓아냈어요.
6) HeungBu, who is kind-hearted, helped others. ________________________________ 흥부는 사람들을 도와주었어요.
7) A swallow that has built a home under the eaves of HeungBu’s house and is living (there) hurt his leg. ____________________________________________ 제비가 다리를 다쳤어요.
2-4. Level 2: Summary
Directions: Based on the video, the reading, and the completed paragraph above, fill in the blanks with the appropriate words chosen from the given box. Make sure to change the verb into the most appropriate form
흥부는 놀부의 ___________이고 놀부는 흥부의 ___________이에요/예요.
돈이 ______________ 흥부는 아주 ________________________ 살았어요. 그런데 돈이 _________________ 놀부는 아주 ________________________(으)로 살았어요.
__________이/가 다리를 다쳤어요. 마음씨가 ________________ 흥부는 제비의 다리를 - ___________________________. 흥부한테 고마운 __________은/는 _________(으)로 흥부한테 복을 갖다주었어요. 박에서 비단옷하고 기와집하고 보물이 나왔어요.
마음씨가 ____________ 놀부는 제비의 다리를 _____________________________ . 제비는 놀부한테는_________(으)로 ________을/를 갖다 주었어요. 박에서 도깨비들이 나왔어요.
_______을/를 받은 흥부는 _______이/가 되었고 _______을/를 받은 놀부는 가난하게 되었어요. 착한 동생 흥부는 형 놀부를 ______________________ . 그래서 놀부는 흥부한테 ___________________ . 그리고 잘못을 ______________________ . 그때부터 흥부와 놀부는 같이 사이좋게 살았어요.
2-5. Level 3: Indirect Discourse
Directions: Based on the Level 3 story, answer the questions using the indirect discourse.
1) What do you think HeungBu would have said to his family to show his love and care for them?
2) What do you think the swallow would have said to HeunBu’s famly when she brought the gourd seeds to them?
3) What do you think the swallow would have said to NolBu’s famly when she brought the gourd seeds to them?
4) What do you think HeungBu would have said to NolBu when he went to see his brother who was punished and became a beggar?
2-6. Level 3: Indirect Discourse
Directions: Watch the video by following the link and write what you hear in the given scenes using the indirect discourse.
1) The part where 흥부 and his family were being chased out of their home
2) The part where 흥부’s family is coping with the hardship after being chased out of their home
2-7. Level 3: Discussion
Directions: Review the given vocabulary and the key didactic themes of this story presented in the box below. Then, briefly explain how you think each theme is conveyed in the story.
Level 2 & Level 3:
1) Re-create the scene of 흥부 and 놀부 each splitting the gourds in half by changing what came out of the gourds.
2) Change the swallow and the gourd seed to something else and create your version of the story.
Level 2 & Level 3:
1) What do you think the swallow and the gourd represent? Discuss each in terms of the key didactic theme(s) of the story.
2) There have been some reinterpretations of what Heungbu and Nolbu stand for. For one, some criticize how Heungbu fell into poverty and the way he dealt with it. Select one of the main themes and critique it or discuss how it is relevant (or not) to the present time and culture we live in.