5.3: Lesson 4 Vocabulary Review
- Page ID
This week, I'd like you to focus on the vocabulary items for lessons 1 through 4. To do this, similar to the Memrise sprint you did a few weeks ago, again you will use Memrise more intensively than you have in previous weeks.
Here are the links to the Memrise lessons:
- Memrise: Lesson 1 "First Contact"
- Memrise: Lesson 2 "Origin and Languages"
- Memrise: Lesson 3 "Family"
- Memrise: Lesson 4 "Ordering Food and Drink"
Go to each of these Memrise flashcard decks, and work on them using either the web version of Memrise on your laptop or desktop computer, or using the app version of Memrise on your phone. Be sure to use the same login credentials on all devices, so that it keeps track of your progress on a single account.
You should complete each lesson first, before moving on to the next one. For example, lesson 1 on Memrise has 132 words. It should show "132/132 words learned" for lesson 1, before you move on to lesson 2. You could have words left to review in a previous lesson, as long as you have completed the learning.
You should plan spend a total of about 1 to 3 hours a day (yes, really that much time!) working through these Memrise lessons, especially at the beginning of the week. Once you show Memrise that you have learned the vocabulary, your time spent reviewing is likely to taper off to 1 hour or less per day toward the end of the week.
As an added incentive to encourage you to use Memrise so extensively, I'd like to challenge you all to a contest! Each Memrise lesson has a separate leaderboard. You can filter the leaderboard scores by week, by month, or for all time. The challenges are as follows:
- If you reach 50,000 points on the all time leaderboard in each of the 4 lessons (at least 50k in lesson 1, and 50k in lesson 2, 50k in lesson 3, and 50k in lesson 4) by 8:30 am Hawaii time on the same day the Midterm Exam is due, you will earn a 5% extra credit bonus on the written and oral midterm exams, which is equivalent to 0.75% of your overall grade at the end of the semester.
- If you reach 75,000 points on the all time leaderboard in each of the 4 lessons (at least 75k in lesson 1, and 75k in lesson 2, 75k in lesson 3, and 75k in lesson 4) by 8:30 am Hawaii time on the same day the Midterm Exam is due, you will instead earn a total 10% extra credit bonus on the written and oral midterm exams, equivalent to 1.5% of your overall grade at the end of the semester.