Writing in College - From Competence to Excellence (Guptill)
- Page ID
Writing in College: From Competence to Excellence is designed for students who have largely mastered the conventions of high-school level writing and are now rising to meet more the advanced expectations of college. Students will find in Writing in College a warm invitation to think of themselves as full, self-motivated members of the academic community. With concise explanations, clear multi-disciplinary examples and empathy for the challenges of student life, this short textbook both explains the purposes behind college-level writing and offers indispensable advice for organization and expression.
- Front Matter
- 1: Really? Writing? Again?
- 2: What Does the Professor Want? Understanding the Assignment
- 3: Constructing the Thesis and Argument—From the Ground Up
- 4: Secondary Sources in Their Natural Habitats
- 5: Listening to Sources, Talking to Sources
- 6: Back to Basics - The Perfect Paragraph
- 7: Intros and Outros
- 8: Clarity and Concision
- 9: Getting the Mechanics Right
- Back Matter
Thumbnail: Alphabetic writing is a frequent category in human communication. (CC BY-SA 4.0; Petar Milošević).