Skip to main content
Critical Thinking Questions
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- Define the two divisions of the skeleton.
- Discuss the functions of the axial skeleton.
- Define and list the bones that form the brain case or support the facial structures.
- Identify the major sutures of the skull, their locations, and the bones united by each.
- Describe the anterior, middle, and posterior cranial fossae and their boundaries, and give the midline structure that divides each into right and left areas.
- Describe the parts of the nasal septum in both the dry and living skull.
- Describe the vertebral column and define each region.
- Describe a typical vertebra.
- Describe the sacrum.
- Describe the structure and function of an intervertebral disc.
- Define the ligaments of the vertebral column.
- Define the parts and functions of the thoracic cage.
- Describe the parts of the sternum.
- Discuss the parts of a typical rib.
- Define the classes of ribs.
- Discuss the processes by which the brain-case bones of the skull are formed and grow during skull enlargement.
- Discuss the process that gives rise to the base and facial bones of the skull.
- Discuss the development of the vertebrae, ribs, and sternum.