Skip to main content
Critical Thinking Questions
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- What materials can easily diffuse through the lipid bilayer, and why?
- Why is receptor-mediated endocytosis said to be more selective than phagocytosis or pinocytosis?
- What do osmosis, diffusion, filtration, and the movement of ions away from like charge all have in common? In what way do they differ?
- Explain why the structure of the ER, mitochondria, and Golgi apparatus assist their respective functions.
- Compare and contrast lysosomes with peroxisomes: name at least two similarities and one difference.
- Explain in your own words why DNA replication is said to be “semiconservative”?
- Why is it important that DNA replication take place before cell division? What would happen if cell division of a body cell took place without DNA replication, or when DNA replication was incomplete?
- Briefly explain the similarities between transcription and DNA replication.
- Contrast transcription and translation. Name at least three differences between the two processes.
- What would happen if anaphase proceeded even though the sister chromatids were not properly attached to their respective microtubules and lined up at the metaphase plate?
- What are cyclins and cyclin-dependent kinases, and how do they interact?
- Explain how a transcription factor ultimately determines whether or not a protein will be present in a given cell?
- Discuss two reasons why the therapeutic use of embryonic stem cells can present a problem.