What You’ll Learn To Do: Examine Early Medieval, Carolingian, and Ottonian art.
In Chapter 11 we will examine Early Medieval art. We will look at how this art contributed to the larger development of Western art. It is imperative to understand Early Medieval art in order to see how it impacted later artistic developments.
The learning activities for this module include:
- Review: Key Learning Items
- Read: Early Medieval Art
- Read: Fibulae
- Read: Sutton Hoo Ship Burial (includes a video—4:23)
- Read: Medieval Manuscripts
- Read: The Bestiary
- Read: The Lindisfarne Gospels
- Read: Carolingian Art
- Watch: Lindau Gospels Cover (6:01)
- Read: St. Michael’s Church
- Review: External Resources
- Submit: Module 11 Quiz (5 points)
- Discuss: Unit 2 Discussion Essay (30 points)