- Identify the causes and effects of Modernism
- Differentiate between High Modernism and Low Modernism
- Identify the social, cultural, and political movements occurring during Modernism
- Identify several major Modernist works
- 5.17: The Harlem Renaissance
- The Harlem Renaissance is commonly defined as a period of cultural activity by African-American artists that began in Harlem, a New York City neighborhood in northern Manhattan, in the 1920s and ended in the years leading up to World War II. Yet that short span of approximately fifteen years neither accurately describes the period, nor indicates the lasting influence that the Harlem Renaissance continues to have on American literature.
Thumbnail: Arthur Miller, 1966. (CC0; Koch, Eric / Anefo via Wikipedia).