Skip to main content
3.8.3: Reading and Review Questions
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- In Notes on the State of Virginia, why does Jefferson believe that whites will treat Native Americans well, if the Native Americans surrender themselves to whites?
- How does Silouee’s defense of Colonel Byrd compare with Pocahontas’s defense of John Smith (as Smith described it)?
- In what ways are races of men unequal, according to Jefferson? Why? Why is the color of blacks’ skin important? According to Jefferson, what does it signify?
- According to Jefferson, why are Americans free from religious dissension? Are his views logical or logically expressed? Why?
- According to his autobiography, what motivates most of the revisions to his draft of the Declaration of Independence? To what effect are they made, do you think?