Skip to main content
1.6.2: Reading and Review Questions
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- According to what criteria does Champlain value/evaluate New France? How do his criteria compare with those of John Smith?
- Why, and to what effect, does Champlain allude to Old World/European examples of successful colonization of places that at first seemed to promise little success ie Venice, Genoa, Marseilles?
- What cultural adaptations, if any, does Champlain foresee for Frenchmen who cultivate/colonize New France?
- Why do you think Champlain extolls converting Canadian Indians to Christianity as the true virtue of kings?
- What attitude does Champlain take to the Canadian Indians’ culture(s)? Why? How do you know? How does his attitude compare with that of de Vaca or Smith? Why and to what effect does Champlain detail the torturing of a Mohawk Iroquois prisoner of war by the Montagnais (with whom Champlain fought)?