After reading this chapter, students will be able to
- Categorize the types of Native American tales and their contribution to their respective tribes’ cultures.
- Identify significant tropes and motifs of movement in Native American creation stories.
- Identify the cultural characteristics of Native American creation, trickster, and first contact stories distinct from European cultural characteristics.
- Identify elements of trickster stories.
- Understand how the search for the Westward passage to Asia led to the European discovery of the Americas.
- Understand how the search for commodities led to territorial appropriation of North American land by various European countries.
- Understand the role religion played in European settlement in North America.
- Understand how their intended audience and purpose affected the content and tone of European exploration accounts.