A. Cue: Kaimasu. I’m going to buy it. 買 か います。
Response: Nani o kaimasu ka. What are you going to buy?
何 なに を買 か いますか。
Cue: Irimasu. I’m going to need it.
Response: Nani ga irimasu ka. What are you going to need?
何 なに がいりますか。
B. Cue: Udon, yoku tabemasu nee. You eat udon a lot, don’t you!
うどん、よく食 た べますねえ。
Response: Ee, watashi wa udon ga suki desu kara. Yes, because I like udon.
ええ、 私 わたし はうどんが好 す きですから。
Cue: Geimu, yoku shimasu nee. You play a lot of games, don’t you!
Response: Ee, watashi wa geimu ga suki desu kara. Yes, because I like games.
ええ、 私 わたし はゲームが好 す きですから。
C. Cue: Zenbu mitai desu ka. Do you want to see all?
全部 ぜんぶ 、見 み たいですか.
Response: Ie, kore wa mitai desu kedo, No, I want to see this, are wa mitaku nai desu. but I don’t want to see that.
いえ、これは見 み たいですけど、あれは見 み たくないです．
Cue: Zenbu yomitai desu ka? Do you want to read all?
全部 ぜんぶ , 読 よ みたいですか．
Response: Ie, kore wa yomitai desu kedo, No, I want to read this, are wa yomitaku nai desu. but I don’t want to see that.
いえ、これは読 よ みたいですけど、あれは読 よ みたくないです。
D. Say it in Japanese.
You’ve been asked if you like Japanese food.
1. Yes, I like it. My favorite is ramen.
2. Well, I do not hate it, but my favorite is Chinese.
3. Of course I love it. I want to eat it everyday.
You’ve been asked why you go to a particular restaurant so often.
4. Because their ramen is famous.
5. Because they have Wi-Fi.
6. Because I want to each good western-style food. A co-worker has asked you what you want to do this weekend.
7. I’d like to play the new game.
8. I’d like to do shopping.
9. I’d like to study because there will be an exam.
10. I’d like to clean my apartment. I’d like to do laundry, too.
E. Act these roles in Japanese with a partner.
1. At a restaurant, you’ve been asked if you need a fork. State that you don’t; you prefer chopsticks.
2. You’ve been asked if you cook a lot. You make breakfast, but buy bento, a sandwich, etc. for lunch. For dinner, you eat out a lot.
3. Ask a taxi driver if there is a good ramen shop.
4. Ms. Honda invited you to her favorite restaurant. Find out what (dish) is good at the restaurant.
5. Ask each other about your favorite fruit, book, sports, and class.