College ESL Writers: Applied Grammar and Composing Strategies for Success is designed as a comprehensive grammar and writing etext for high intermediate and advanced level non-native speakers of English. We open the text with a discussion on the sentence and then break it down into its elemental components, before reconstructing them into effective sentences with paragraphs and larger academic assignments. Following that, we provide instruction in paragraph and essay writing with several opportunities to both review the fundamentals as well as to demonstrate mastery and move on to more challenging assignments.
- Front Matter
- 1: Writing Basics - What Makes a Good Sentence?
- 2: Sentence Variety - How do I Refine My Writing?
- 3: Writing Paragraphs - Separating Ideas and Shaping Content
- 4: Writing Essays - From Start to Finish
- 5: Revising and Editing
- 6: Working with Words - Usage, Form, and Context
- 7: Overview of English Grammar
- 8: Punctuation and Capitalization
- 9: Good Writing - Models and Samples
- 10: Suggested Writing Topics and Grading Rubrics
- Back Matter
Thumbnail: Grammar highlighted (Pixabay license; PDPics via Pixabay).