- Determine the purpose of an argument
- Distinguish between definition, evaluation, causal, and proposal arguments
- Explain what common questions will need to be answered for each of the above argument types.
- 7.1: Deciding the Purpose of a Research-Based Argument
- A research-based argument may attempt to define something, evaluate something, show the cause of something, or call for action.
- 7.2: Tailoring an Argument to an Audience
- The more we imagine our audience's likely reactions, the more we can shape our argument to convince them.
- 7.4: Evaluation Arguments
- Evaluation arguments make a claim about the quality of something.