Here are all of the common phrases discussed in Chapter 5 for responding to an argument. Each heading links to the relevant section of the text.
Call for clarification
- X should specify whether they mean _____________ or _____________.
- X should explain what they mean by _____________.
- X should elaborate on the concept of _____________.
Call for support and research
- Further research on _____________ could show us _____________.
- A study of _____________ might show whether _____________.
- Is it really the case that _____________? We need more information about _____________.
- An investigation of _____________ could help us determine the role of _____________ in _____________.
Suggest a limit to the claim
- We should recognize that this pattern is limited to cases where _____________.
- The argument holds true in situations where _____________.
- It is important to note that this claim only applies to _____________.
- _____________ is a notable exception because _____________.
- We should note that this claim is certainly not true of _____________.
Point to further implications
- The idea that _____________ could apply to _____________ as well.
- Beyond _____________, X’s argument has implications for _____________.
- This argument shows how important it is that we take action on _____________.
- If we accept the idea that _____________, as we should, then the time has come to _____________.
- Given X’s points, shouldn’t we consider _____________?
Introduce alternative or additional reasons
- Better evidence for _____________ lies in _____________.
- Another reason why _____________ is that _____________.
- The fact that _____________ provides further support for X’s claim.
- My own experience has also shown that _____________ , which leads me to agree with X.
- I have seen firsthand how _____________.
- In addition to the evidence X gives, it is also worth considering that _____________.
Underscore the importance of an argument
- X’s claim is important because _____________.
- This is especially concerning because _____________.
- We should take note of this since _____________.
Suggest ways to spread the word
- We could help spread awareness of _____________ by _____________.
- The idea that _____________ should be taught in _____________ classes.
- We should all talk to those we know about _____________.
Introduce alternate claims
- Instead of _____________, I would argue that _____________.
- A more accurate claim would be _____________.
- In actuality, _____________.
- The idea that _____________ better accounts for the evidence.
- We can find a better explanation of _____________ in _____________.
- As we have seen, it is not true that _____________. Rather, _____________.
Reframe the issue
- Instead of focusing on _____________, we should look at the question in the light of _____________.
- A better way to frame the issue of _____________ would be in terms of _____________.
- To better understand _____________, we should first ask ourselves _____________.