Ejercicio 1: Formal vs Informal
Discuss whether the person speaking in each of the following situations would use tú or usted.
- A client in a bakery, speaking to the baker.
- A doctor speaking to a patient.
- An elementary school student speaking to her best friend.
- A college student speaking to a professor.
- A telemarketer speaking to the person they call.
- A politician speaking to a voter.
- A mother speaking to her daughter.
- A son speaking to his father.
- A college student speaking to another college student.
- A professor speaking to a student.
Ejercicio 2: ¡Hola!
Observe the image and read the accompanying dialogue. Determine if it is a formal or informal exchange.
María: ¡Hola, Juan!
Juan: ¡Hola, María! ¿Qué tal?
María: Muy bien. ¿Y tú, Juan? ¿Cómo estás?
Juan: Bien, gracias.
María: ¡Hasta luego!
Replace the names in the previous dialogue with your own name and that of a classmate. Practice it and present it to the class!
Write a brief dialogue for each of the four situations below. Don’t forget to decide whether the situation requires a formal or informal form of address. Click on the image to enlarge, and then back to be taken back to this page.
This section includes content derived from Introduction to French (2nd ed.), originally released under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0, Liberté, originally released under CC BY-NC-SA, and Francais Interactif, originally released under CC BY 3.0.