Parentheses ( ) are punctuation marks that are always used in pairs and contain material that is secondary to the meaning of a sentence. Parentheses should never contain the subject or verb of a sentence. A sentence should make sense if you delete any text within parentheses and the parentheses.
- Attack of the Killer Potatoes has to be the worst movie I have seen (so far).
- Your spinach and garlic salad is one of the most delicious (and nutritious) foods I have ever tasted!
Clarify the following sentences by adding parentheses as needed.
- Are you going to the seminar this weekend I am?
- I recommend that you try the sushi bar unless you don’t like sushi.
- I was able to solve the puzzle after taking a few moments to think about it.
- Please complete the questionnaire at the end of this letter.
- Has anyone besides me read the assignment?
- Please be sure to circle not underline the correct answers.