- 1.1: Why Study Argument?
- Throughout our college and professional lives, we will be asked to analyze and write arguments. Writing arguments helps us develop slow thinking skills that are personally, professionally, and politically empowering.
- 1.2: What This Book Offers
- This book is meant as a practical guide to college writing. It starts with understanding and describing others' arguments, then moves on to assessing those arguments’ strengths and weaknesses and articulating our own points in response.
Chapter One Student Learning Outcomes
- Recognize ourselves as participants in a larger academic conversation.
- Explain how learning to write will help us academically, professionally, and personally.
- See reading and writing as tools for careful critical thinking.