- Recognize ourselves as participants in a larger academic conversation.
- Explain how learning to write will help us academically, professionally, and personally.
- See reading and writing as tools for careful critical thinking.
- 1.1: Why Study Argument?
- Throughout our college and professional lives, we will be asked to analyze and write arguments. Writing arguments helps us develop slow thinking skills that are personally, professionally, and politically empowering.
- 1.2: What This Book Offers
- This book is meant as a practical guide to college writing. It starts with understanding and describing others' arguments, then moves on to assessing those arguments’ strengths and weaknesses and articulating our own points in response.