Once I have mastered this unit, I will：
- understand the four tones and neutral tone and their tone marks;
- be able to identify the tones and pronounce the rehearsed words using the appropriate tone;
- understand the basic concepts of the Mandarin writing system: strokes, radicals and phonetic components, and character composition;
- be able to identify strokes and composition, and to trace characters using appropriate stroke order;
- have memorized some survival expressions; and
- have a basic overview of the Chinese language, including formation of Chinese characters, grammar features, and vocabulary.