Skip to main content
7: Writing about Character and Motivation - Psychoanalytic Literary Criticism
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- Understand the varieties of psychoanalytic literary theories.
- Apply a psychoanalytic theory to a literary work.
- Engage in the writing process of a peer writer, including peer review.
- Review and evaluate a variety of model papers by peer writers.
- Draft and revise a psychoanalytic paper on a literary work.
- 7.1: Psychoanalytic Literary Criticism- An Overview
- 7.2: Focus on Sigmund Freud (1856–1939)- Unconscious Repressed Desire
- 7.3: Focus on Jacques Lacan (1901–81)- Repressed Desire and the Limits of Language
- 7.4: Focus on Carl Jung (1875–1961) - The Archetypal Collective Unconsciousness
- 7.5: Reading Keats’s “Urn” through the Psychoanalytic Lens
- 7.6: Suggestions for Further Reading