The Creation of this Open Educational Resource (OER)
This textbook and ancillary materials were created as part of the Illinois Support for the Creation of Open Educational Resources (SCOERs) project, facilitated by the Consortium of Academic and Research Libraries in Illinois (CARLI) and funded by a $2 million Open Textbooks Pilot Program grant from the Department of Education and the Fund for the Improvement of Post-Secondary Education.
Illinois SCOERs is a true statewide enterprise fundamentally changing the open educational resources landscape in Illinois by providing a new holistic support model that promotes student success through OER awareness, implementation, growth, and adoption. This project features a collaboration between educational systems in Illinois, the library community, and workforce representatives. Developed OER course materials will be released under a license that permits their free use, reuse, modification, and sharing with others., the library community, and workforce representatives. Developed OER course materials will be released under a license that permits their free use, reuse, modification, and sharing with others.
About this Book
This book and its ancillary materials were made possible through an Illinois SCOERs Subgrant awarded to Larissa Garcia and Jessica Labatte at Northern Illinois University to create materials for undergraduate photography courses.
Contributors to the development of this OER textbook include educators, librarians, and staff from Northern Illinois University. Special thanks to Amy Fleming, Emma Vitallo, Missy Clapp, and Cynthia Paralejas.
Illinois SCOERs Project Staff
The Illinois SCOERs Project Staff helped coordinate the management of the Open Textbook Pilot grant that made this OER possible. Topical experts shared their knowledge on open educational resources, incorporating technologies including 3D printing, accessibility, author rights, instructional design, publishing, and participated with the review and proofreading processes.
- Anne Craig, Principal Investigator, CARLI Senior Director
- Michele Leigh, Project Director, CARLI Senior Coordinator Open Illinois
- Margaret Chambers, CARLI Director and Advisor, Membership and Communications
- Michelle Haake, CARLI Senior Coordinator Membership and Communications
- Diane Day, CARLI Fiscal Officer
- Elizabeth Clarage, CARLI Director, Collections Services and OER Committee Liaison
- Nicole Swanson, CARLI Senior Coordinator, Library Services and Outreach and OER Committee Liaison
- Sara Benson, Copyright Training Coordinator, Assistant Professor, Copyright Librarian, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- Emily Boles, Instructional Design Coordinator and Trainer, eLearning Specialist, University of Illinois Springfield
- Elisandro (Alex) Cabada, 3D Printing Coordinator Trainer, Assistant Professor and Medical & Bioengineering Librarian, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- Ann Fredricksen, Disability Specialist, Coordinator of Accessible Media Services, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Disability Resources and Educational Services (DRES)
- Kathleen Ricker, Proofreader, ProofreadingPal.com Editing Services
The Illinois SCOERs Advisory Committee provided input on the subgrant applications, and the materials produced and contains industry members, librarians, graduate students, and representatives from our project partners:
- Illinois Community College Board
- Illinois Board of Higher Education
- Illinois Department of Commerce & Economic Opportunity
- Illinois Heartland Library System
- Reaching Across Illinois Library System
- Illinois State Library
- Illinois Library Association
- Health Sciences Librarians of Illinois
- University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign’s Division of Disability Resources and Educational Services
- Laurie Brown, Executive Director, Hickory Point Christian Village (assisted living) and Illinois Workforce Investment Board Local 1949 Chair
- Lisa Jones, DCEO, Manager, Office of Employment & Training (state workforce agency)
- Suzanne Kinsey, Executive Director, Fox Valley Community Services, (in-home service agency) in DeKalb, LaSalle, Kendall, and Kane Counties
- Danna Williamson, Nursing Education Specialist, Carle Foundation Hospital Clinical Education
The Peer Reviewer process was completed by the following reviewers:
Request to Those Using This Resource: Usage Survey
We would love to hear if you have integrated some, or all of this resource into your course. Please submit usage information every semester for grant reporting purposes using this short survey. Your personal information will be kept private and only the usage data will be shared with the Department of Education.
This textbook is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC-BY) license unless otherwise indicated, which means that you are free to:
- SHARE – copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
- ADAPT – remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose
The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.
- Attribution: You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if any changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- No Additional Restrictions: You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.
- Notice: You do not have to comply with the license for elements of the material in the public domain or where your use is permitted by an applicable United States copyright exception or limitation.
- No Warranties are Given: The license may not give you all of the permissions necessary for your intended use. For example, other rights such as publicity, privacy, or moral rights may limit how you use the material.
Some of the content for this textbook was adapted from other open educational resources. For specific reference information about what was used and/or changed in this adaptation, please refer to the references at the end of each section of the book.
Suggested Attribution Statement for this Book
Content that is not taken from the above OER should include the following attribution statement:
____Labatte, Jessica and Larissa Garcia. (2023). Illinois SCOERs. Fundamentals of Photography and Creative Practice by Consortium of Academic and Research Libraries in Illinois licensed under CC BY 4.0.
 The contents of this publication were developed under a grant from the Fund for the Improvement of Postsecondary Education, (FIPSE), U.S. Department of Education. However, those contents do not necessarily represent the policy of the Department of Education, and you should not assume endorsement by the Federal Government.