- What does it mean to represent yourself professionally and “build your brand?"
- What are the advantages and disadvantages for your professional and personal life of authoring and shaping your own identity on social media?
- How will YOU make yourself marketable in the workplace?
STEP ONE: View the following Houston Chron video titled "How to Promote Yourself Successfully" (Links to an external site.) by Deanna Murray of Demand Media, taking notes in your Reader's Notebook. At the end of your notes, write a few sentences in paragraph format about how you do or will represent yourself professionally.
QUESTIONS FOR CLASS DISCUSSION BEFORE READING
- How can social media work FOR you (or your personal brand) in the workplace?
- How can social media work FOR you (or your personal brand) in your personal life?
- How can social media work against you at in the workplace?
- How can social media work against you in your social/personal life?
READING PROCESS, PRE-READING
Discuss the following questions with your group members and take notes on the group response below your notes from the video above. (Just draw a line between the two entries.)
- What is the Chronicle of Higher Education (Links to an external site.)and who reads it?
- How does the way we represent ourselves on social media improve or distort who we understand ourselves to be?
READING PROCESS, DURING READING
Read and fully annotate (highlight and label) the print out of the following article, the core reading for this exercise:
Article Link: Link http://search.ebscohost.com.libproxy...ite=ehost-live
MLA Citation for this article:
Smith, Sidonie, and Julia Watson. "Studying The Digital Self." Chronicle Of Higher Education 60.32 (2014): 13. Academic Search Premier. Web. 3 Aug. 2014.
READING PROCESS, AFTER READING
- Begin brainstorming ideas for your paper.
- Outline your ideas for your paper.
- Write your outline in your notebook.
- Write the draft of your paper.
- Read your work aloud to a peer reviewer (or someone!) to help you "hear" what you need to fix.
- Proofread your paper and upload it to Canvas.