Proficient readers often ask “what if?” questions to help them read more critically:
- What if the essay had started a different way?
- What if the author had included different evidence?
- What if the author had drawn a different conclusion?
The skills we use to for critical reading and writing are related to the skills we use for critical thinking.
Review “The Power of Critical Thinking” by Maria Mamah and consider the following:
- What did you think about the video?
- Did you watch it with a critical mind?
- Did you question it?
- Did you accept everything the woman said or did you wonder about why she made her arguments the way she did?
The Power Of Critical Thinking. Authored by: Maria Mamah. Provided by: Corvinus University of Budapest. Located at: http://youtu.be/Hd4KrUH8Ky4. License: Other. License Terms: Standard YouTube license
- Introduction to Critical Reading. Authored by: Elisabeth Ellington and Ronda Dorsey Neugebauer. Provided by: Chadron State College. Project: Kaleidoscope Open Course Initiative. License: CC BY: Attribution