After successful completion of this module, you will be able to:
- Understand and apply the concepts and terminology of Ancient Near Eastern art
- Investigate and apply the fundamental questions we ask when looking at art objects from this era
- Discuss, collaborate, and generate understanding as to the meaning of Ancient Near Eastern art
- Assess and evaluate the impact of Ancient Near Eastern art on the continued evolution of Western art
Key Questions to Ask
While you are reviewing the content of this module, consider the following questions:
- How does the artwork function in the Ancient Near East?
- What are the different geographical regions that constitute the Ancient Near East?
- What is the role of death and burial rituals in Ancient Near Eastern art?
- What is the role of animals in Ancient Near Eastern art?
Key Vocabulary Terms
- cylinder seal
- cuneiform characters
- hierarchy of scale
- wall reliefs
- composite creature
Here are links to art history glossaries that will help you better understand the above key vocabulary terms.