- Describe the post-Civil War context of American culture at the time Realistic writing came into prominence.
- List the features of American Literary Realism.
- List the features of the two sub-movements that preceded Realism: Local Color and Regionalism.
- Identify stylistic elements of Local Color, Regionalism, and Realism in literary selections.
- Identify major distinctions and differences among the literary styles of Local Color, Regionalism, and Realism.
- Analyze the ways in which women’s literature develops in this period.
- Analyze themes in an early work by an African-American writer.
Thumbnail: Twain in 1907. (Public Domain; A.F. Bradley via Wikipedia).