Skip to main content
4.26.2: Reading and Review Questions
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- How does Harding tie her readers—of whatever class, race, age, gender, and religion—with the characters and events of her story? Why? What’s her intent?
- What role, if any, does art, artistry, and the artist, play in this story? Why? How do you know?
- What mysteries or hidden messages does the story describe versus mysteries it resolves or solves? Why? How, and to what end?
- Looking at the qualities of this text that reflect Realism in literature, how does its realism use facts? How does it transcend facts? Why, and how?
- What is the role of women in this work? Do women have a role in “bettering” the factory-workers lives? Are women central or marginal in this story? Why? How do you know?