Skip to main content
4.15.9: Reading and Review Questions
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- How does the unconscious influence the events that occur in Poe’s works? What is its significance?
- What impact did the Transcendentalism movement have on Poe’s works? Did Poe support or oppose the movement? How do you know?
- Why did Poe choose to use unreliable narrators in “The Tell-Tale Heart” and “Ligeia”? In what ways do these narrators alter or impact the reader’s perspective?
- How is guilt portrayed in Poe’s work? What is its purpose? What connections can you make between guilt, sin, and the Puritan society.
- What is the significance between the death of young women and the paranormal in Poe’s works? What historical and cultural events might have influenced Poe’s portrayal of mystical women in his works?