Skip to main content
4.3.2: Reading and Review Questions
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- How do people’s relationship with the land depend upon their relationship with each other in a commonwealth or democracy? Why?
- How does progress/advancement of civilization mitigate against the abundance of the land that supports the growing population? How does the law of civilization assist or hinder American ‘rights’?
- How, if at all, does Natty Bumpo seem a uniquely American character? Consider the way he dresses, talks, and acts. Consider his attitude towards the Judge.
- How does Judge Templeton represent the values of civilization? Why? What dangers are there in settling the land under Templeton’s jurisdiction?
- What is Natty Bumbo’s attitude towards Native American rights? And the Judge’s? How do you know?