Skip to main content
4.7.2: Reading and Review Questions
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- Why does Walker address his appeal to blacks? What does he hope to achieve by addressing blacks directly?
- Why does Walker call white slave-holders “false Christians?” What’s his purpose in doing so? What role do American preachers play in the oppression of black slaves?
- Why, and to what effect, does Walker contextualize American slaves of his present day with slaves throughout history, including those in Israel, Sparta, and Spain, as well as oppressed peoples, such as the Irish and the Jews?
- How and why does Walker criticize Jefferson’s Notes on the State of Virginia? What does he hope for his audience to do or achieve through these criticisms?
- How and why does ignorance endanger American blacks? How are they deceived?