In this chapter, you will learn to:
- Print the alphabet in order using lower case letters
- Read and write words with the endings -s, -ing, and -ed
- Copy short sentences
- Read common sight words in a paragraph
- Answer questions about a story
- Complete sentences by adding a missing word
- Use an upper case letter to begin a person’s name
Talk About It
- Do you like to get to know the people who live near you? Why or why not?
Use the pictures to help you figure out the words.
Practice reading these words without the pictures.
Words can have endings. Some common word endings are –s, –ing, and –ed.
1. Fill in this chart.
How many do you see?
|2.||egg or eggs?|
|3.||rock or rocks?|
|4.||bug or bugs?|
|5.||pen or pens?|
|6.||tree or trees?|
|7.||rat or rats?|
Read the sentences. Then copy them. Use upper case letters, periods, and question marks correctly.
|The dog naps with the cats.|
|This log has bugs on it.|
|Tim jogs a lot.|
|The kids got on the bus.|
|Can you get the red cups?|
Use Your Reading Skills
Listen to Val’s Garden. Then read Val’s Garden in BC Reads: Adult Literacy Fundamental English – Reader 1.
An audio element has been excluded from this version of the text. You can listen to it online here: https://opentextbc.ca/abealf1/?p=57
Check Your Understanding
Fill in the blanks with the right word or words.
1. I am _______________ to the city.
2. A woman named _______________ lives next door.
3. She grows a vegetable garden by the _______________.
4. She gives me a _______________ of vegetables.
5. She _______________.
6. I take care of her _______________.
7. A _______________ moves next door.
8. I give them a box of _______________ from Val’s garden.
You can use words from a question to make your own sentence.
|Question:||Who has a garden?|
|Answer:||Val has a garden.|
|Question:||What vegetables are in Val’s garden?|
|Answer:||Carrots, tomatoes, beans, and peas are in Val’s garden.|
|Question:||Who moves next door when Val passes on?|
|Answer:||A family moves next door when Val passes on.|
|Question:||What is given to the family next door?|
|Answer:||A box of vegetables is given to the family next door.|
Answer the questions. Use the underlined words to form your answer.
1. Who talks to plants?
2. What gets dry after Val passes on?
3. What looks sad after Val passes on?
4. Write all the letters of the alphabet in order. Use lower case letters.
Think of a time when a neighbour was nice to you, or a time when you were nice to a neighbour. Tell the story to your instructor. Your instructor will write down what you say. Then copy the story into your notebook.
When you are done, read your story.
- Did you begin each sentence with an upper case letter?
- Did you use an upper case letter at the beginning of a person’s name?
- Did you end each sentence with a period or question mark?
- Are you missing any words?
|Check Your Understanding|
|1||Val talks to plants.|
|2||The dirt gets dry after Val passes on.|
|3||The plants looks sad after Val passes on.|
|4||a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z|
See the Attributions page near the end of this book.