A. Listen to the audio. Following the first two model exchanges, respond to each cue.
Cue: Isu to ka tsukue, arimasu ka. Do they have things like chairs and desks?
Response: Hai, isu mo tsukue mo arimasu. Yes, they have both chairs and desks.
Cue: Keetai to ka sumaho, arimasu ka. Do they have things like mobile phones and smart phones?
Response: Hai, keetai mo sumaho mo arimasu. Yes, they have both mobile phones and smart phones.
B. Cue: Isu ya tsukue, arimasu ka. Do they have things like chairs and desks?
Response: Ie, isu mo tsukue mo arimasen. No, they have neither chairs nor desks.
Cue: Eigo ya Supeingo, wakarimasu ka. Do they understand things like English and Spanish?
Response: Ie, eigo mo supeingo mo wakarimasen. No, they understand neither English nor Spanish.
C. Say it in Japanese. You’ve been asked what you need for your new apartment.
1. I have everything. I’m fine.
2. I have a chair, but I have neither a desk nor a table.
3. I have a refrigerator, but I do not have a washer. I wonder if there is a cheap washer.
4. I have a bed and chair, but I do not have a TV. I do not have a vacuum cleaner, either.
5. I have things like a table and chair, but I do not have a refrigerator, a washer, etc.
You’ve been asked about this weekend’s weather.
6. It will be nice on both Sat. and Sun.
7. It will be nice on Sat., but it will rain on Sun.
8. It will be nice on Sat. and Sun., but it will rain on Monday.
9. It rained yesterday AND today, right? I wonder if it will rain again tomorrow.
10. It was cold yesterday. But it will be beautiful on Sunday.
D. Act in Japanese with a partner.
1. A stranger just slipped and fell in front of you. React!
2. You’ve just heard something incredible. Express your surprise/disbelief.
3. Find out if your classmates do Facebook, Twitter, etc.
4. Ask a co-worker if he cleans, does laundry, etc. often.
5. With a partner, discuss what furniture/appliances you have in your apartments, how they are, and what you need. Make sure you are a good listener. Use hesitation noise, and echo questions where appropriate.