Skip to main content
4.10: Critical Thinking Exercises
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- John White was put in a terrible position when his colonists asked him to leave them and return to England for aide. If you were John White, what would you do?
- The Secotan attacked White’s colony because of what had happened with Lane’s earlier group. Was there any way for White to have prevented the troubles? Was the Secotan’s anger justified?
- Ralph Lane’s legacy at Roanoke was a failed attempt at a colony and the lasting enmity of the Secotan towards the English. How do you think Lane should have handled the problems with the Secotan?
- If you were Powhatan or a Pequot, how would you have reacted to the arrival of the English?
- If you were an English citizen in 1606 and had the opportunity to be a part of founding Jamestown, would you have done it?
- Why do you think the Narragansett and Mohegan tribes fought with the Puritans against fellow Indians, the Pequot?
- Do you think that witchcraft was practiced in Salem Village in 1692?